Norton vs. Other Brands
The Facts You Need to Know for Selecting the Right Security Software
Norton Security vs. Avast vs. McAfee vs. Kaspersky vs. Trend Micro
If you’re considering a purchase of the latest Symantec software, odds are that you’re interested in knowing how the most popular programs measure up. As Norton Security Deluxe and Norton Security Premium recently replaced Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, and Norton AntiVirus, the consolidation to two new programs made it somewhat easier to decide which one to go for. Here is our useful comparison on Norton Security Standard vs. Deluxe vs. Premium. They provide multiple features to keep your computer protected from various security threats. As more people become conscientious about their online safety, Norton Security alone may not be enough so it becomes time to compare Norton Security Deluxe vs. Norton Security Premium. Norton Security Premium is definitely All-in-One security package offering full protection from all security aspects. Yet, you may find Norton Security Deluxe or Standard just fine and have it fulfilling all of your security needs.
While comparing products made by the same vendor certainly helps in making a purchase decision, comparing products to the same of a kind made by other vendors is inevitable, right? That is why we have created a comparison table that looks into Norton Security products vs. Avast Premier vs. McAfee® All Access vs. Kaspersky Total Security vs. Trend Micro™ Premium Security. We have selected the most similar products so none of them loses because it does not belong to the crowd. A kind of an exception may be Norton Security Standard or Deluxe as they have less features than their sister product Norton Security Premium, but we felt obligated to have Deluxe Edition here as this website is about Norton Security products. We also added Avast Premier as this is a security software vendor that could not be omitted.
While creating this antivirus comparison, we tried not to select too many features to get you lost around here, but only those that we thought would be helpful in making the right choice.
|Norton Security Standard||Norton Security Deluxe||Norton Security Premium||Avast Premier||McAfee® All Access||Kaspersky Total Security||Trend Micro™ Premium Security|
(MSRP, standard 1-year license)
|A number of protected devices
(any OS combination)
|Operating Systems supported||Windows, Mac®, Android, iOS||Windows, Mac®, Android, iOS||Windows, Mac®, Android, iOS||Windows||Windows, Mac®, Android, iOS||Windows, Mac®, Android||Windows, Mac®, Android, iOS|
|Viruses removed from your PC or Mac® or your money back – 100% guarantee1||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Backup and restore||n/a||n/a||PC||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Secured online storage space||n/a||n/a||25 GB||n/a||n/a||Dropbox 2GB||25 GB|
|Add more secure, online PC storage when you need more space2||n/a||n/a||Yes||n/a||n/a||Yes||n/a|
|Money back guarantee3||60 days||60 days||60 days||30 days||30 days||30 days||30 days|
- Price – Norton Security seems to be at the lower end of the price scale, followed by McAfee and Trend Micro that tied in pricing, then by Avast and finally Kaspersky.
- Number of devices covered – when comparing Norton Security vs. McAfee we should mentioned first that the “unlimited” devices covered by McAfee are still subject to limitation as per small print at the bottom of this page (asterisk). At the same time, we doubt McAfee would make any sort of check on a user that uses the software for 10 or more devices. Norton Security vs. Kaspersky and Trend Micro shows that the first one in its “with Backup” version offers coverage for a double number of devices. Avast Premier covers 5 devices, Windows only computers.
- Operating Systems supported – except for Avast Premier which is Windows only, we could easily omit this part, but decided to leave it just to ensure a reader is aware of OSs in game here. We should add here that Trend Micro has Kindle Fire OS on the list as well. iOS support varies from iOS 7 and up, depending on a vendor.
- Virus removal – 100% Guarantee – this is a heavy statement which is truly backed and supported as Symantec obviously wants you to trust Norton Security solution, and therefore offers money back if the protection fails. Other vendors do not feature such promise.
- Backup and Restore – Norton Security Premium overshadows all other comparison participants as it’s the only one providing PC backup and restore with secured online storage. Kaspersky “includes” Dropbox online storage service which can be obtained for free anyway (up to 2GB). Trend Micro provides secured online storage for your data files, but it does not do backup and restore. Avast comes with no backup features, nor online storage.
- Money back guarantee – here Norton wins with its 60 days money back window as all other vendors offer 30-day money back guarantee.
When you finish reading, you’ll have the information you need to compare Norton Security products with confidence and understand whether Norton or a product by one of the other vendor might be the right choice for you. When looking to buy Norton, compare products first to make sure you get the right product for your needs. If you want backup and restore protection which is more than the features Norton Security, McAfee, Avast, Kaspersky, and Trend Micro provide, then Norton Security Premium is the next to look at.
* McAfee® All Access (unlimited devices) – Subject to limitations on reasonable use and purpose of the product. Certain product limitations may apply; see system requirements for supported platforms.
** MSRP (manufacturer’s suggested retail price) – Please note that, quite often, most of the antivirus software vendors run some type of promotion. For latest Norton Security offers in your country, use the International link in our main navigation.
1 Restrictions apply. Availability varies by country. Must be enrolled in automatic renewal service online. See norton.com/guarantee for details.
2 Additional prorated fee may apply.
3 Restrictions apply and depend on the software supplier.